List:       ruby-talk
Subject:    Re: looking for an example problem to demonstrate TaskMaster
From:       "Jason Voegele" <jason () jvoegele ! com>
Date:       2002-01-24 18:43:49

> I'm looking for suggestions here...
>
> I was thinking of an application where the user would enter a range of
> numbers to find primes in.  The script would break this range down into
>  smaller ranges and use TaskMaster to send these tasks (finding primes
> withing the given subranges) to multiple client machines.  But that's
> not  a real good demo since as the numbers in the ranges get larger the
> time it  takes to test each number in the range goes way up (probably
> exponentially).  So I'm looking for a problem that's a bit more linear
> so  that as you add more client machines it's obvious that the problem
> is  solved faster. It should also be something pretty easy to
> understand (and  program) since it's intended to be a demo.

I've often considered a chess program that distributes different parts of
the game tree to different machines, thus allowing more depth of search in
some specified amount of time.  Chess may be too complex for your purposes,
but you could choose a simpler game.  Also, anything involving permutations
would make a good example.

I presume you've already disregarded something like SETI@home as too
complex?

Jason Voegele