List:       ruby-core
Subject:    Re: revision number in ruby -v (1.9)
From:       Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-04-21 13:45:27

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Ok. Makes sense. What's puzzling me is that when I updated 1.9 recently,
> the reported revision didn't change, even though it seemed like a lot of
> files got updated and built.

I think the "how" has been answered but not the why. Generally revision
numbers are kept in a file that's included in the build and which has
tags in it that SVN updates. Updating other files does not change the
revision number in that file, so even if lots of files change the -v
revision number won't be different. I guess "make up" forces that file
to contain the latest rev number.

- Charlie