List:       ruby-core
Subject:    Fwd: Launching Ruby scripts and the future of MVM
From:       "Charles O Nutter" <headius () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-02-23 22:05:57

I wrote this email about a month ago, suggesting a core Kernel method
to launch Ruby scripts in a platform-independent way. I'm sure
everyone is very busy, but are there any thoughts on this? I'll
summarize what I'm hoping for:

- Many Ruby applications want to launch additional Ruby scripts.
- Currently they do that via Kernel.system or backquotes, which always
launch a new process. For example, many Rakefiles launch unit tests
this way.
- I believe there should be a method on Kernel to ask the interpreter
to launch a script for you, something akin to Kernel.run_script.
- On Ruby versions without multi-VM capability, this would simply call
Kernel.system with an appropriate Ruby executable.
- On Ruby versions with MVM, this could launch a new VM in the same
process to run the script.

In the JRuby world, where a new process means a new Java VM (something
we really want to avoid), we have to intercept calls to Kernel.system
and parse out the name of the Ruby (or JRuby) executable in order to
launch the requested script in the same process. If there were a core
method everyone used to launch external scripts, it would provide a
migration path to MVM on Ruby now and in the future.

I have also put this information into an RCR, #328. I will post these
thoughts to ruby-talk as well, and hopefully it will spur some
discussion. Thank you for your help!

- Charlie