List:       ruby-core
Subject:    Thread rendezvous with timeouts
From:       Brent Roman <brent () mbari ! org>
Date:       2004-12-28 19:29:18

We needed an event scheduler to manage our multi-threaded motion control
application -- a robotic bio-tech lab instrument.  The core of the
scheduler thread keeps a list of events sorted by future time and
processes them after the appropriate delays.  This leads naturally to
something like:

def awaitNextEvent
   loop {
         lock  #the scheduler event queue
         if (nxtEv=nextEvent)  #pops nextEvent from the event queue
           break if (@wakeTime=nxtEv.timestamp)<=(present=Time.now)
           lock exclusive_unlock {sleep @wakeTime-present}
         else  #there is no next event, the queue was empty
           @wakeTime=MaxTime
           lock exclusive_unlock {sleep}
         end
       end
   }
end

All the locking and unlocking ensures that the queue cannot be modified
by other threads until the scheduler is waiting for the next event.
But, as the scheduler waits, other threads can insert events earlier
than the one for which the scheduler is waiting.

The astute reader may already spot at least one problem with the above
pseudo-code.  We need to unlock access to the scheduler queue before
sleeping, but because sleep, unlike Thread.stop, does not affect
Thread.critical, Thread.critical remains true and no other thread can
run (except, of course, if a trap occurs :-)

If one were to insert an explicit

	Thread.critical=false

before each of the two sleeps in the above code, one would introduce a
race condition because an event could then be inserted into the queue
before the event scheduler is asleep awaiting the next.

My current fix for this is a 'C' extension called "doze".
doze is just a version of sleep that clears
Thread.critical before sleeping.

This works, but it feels like a hack and it does not really address the
broader issue, which is, should it be possible for a thread to sleep
with Thread.critical set?

Sleeping with Thread.critical set is certainly bad practice, but I have
used it for debugging purposes to freeze the system state so I could
inspect it.  rb_thread_wait_for() in eval.c handles the case of having
Thread.critical set, so whoever coded that must have thought it was an
important case.

My "doze" hack does not handle the case where the sleeping thread also
wants to be awoken on an I/O event.  I suppose I could add an analogous
"selectDoze" hack as well, but, again, this feels wrong.  Why should the
commonly desirable case require loading a special extension?

I think it might make more sense to remove the rb_thread_critical check
from the beginning of rb_thread_wait_for(time) in eval.c.  Combined with
the patch I submitted in ruby-core:4039, this would cause
Thread.critical to be cleared on any attempt to sleep what would cause
a different thread to be awoken.

I'd advocate adding a special function to sleep with Thread.critical set
to be used for debugging purposes only.  Or maybe this could be
implemented as an extra defaulted parameter to sleep and select.

Any thoughts?

--
  Brent Roman                                   MBARI
  mailto:brent@mbari.org  http://www.mbari.org/~brent