List:       ruby-core
Subject:    Re: exceptions and such
From:       Mathieu Bouchard <matju () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2003-08-08 21:02:28

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> for example it will have interpreter structure to be reentrant.

By reentrant you mean signal-safe and such ?

There is also allowing several ruby interpreters in a single process,
which implies some sort of reentrancy, but mostly just converting
global/static variables into either thread-local variables or fields of a
"RubyInterpreter" C struct/class.

(But I don't need the "several interpreters per process" feature, and I
don't know who does...)

> |> No signal handler runs Ruby code directly, so that it should be safe.
> |No, I mean other kinds of interference. Would signals sent to the 2nd
> |process still trigger SignalExceptions in the 1st process?
> The current Ruby do not work well with pthread, so that we don't need
> to worry about it now.  Speaking of the future, it's my nightmare to
> tackle pthread signals.

Okay, maybe you don't have to worry about it now, but I've wrapped
pthread-using libraries, both of which are designed with a single-thread
interface so that users don't have to worry about threads, and still I
have a problem, namely, Ruby interpreter freezes at shutdown and I think I
had determined that it has to do with the second process. In any case I
can attest that it has to do with both of those libraries. So do you
please have any hints for me?