List:       rt-users
Subject:    Re: [rt-users] RE: dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 choking on attachment
From:       Robert Joost <rob.joost () knowledgenet ! com>
Date:       2004-06-18 17:22:00

Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:48:09AM -0700, Robert Joost wrote:
>

> > RT is a great Open Source tool; unfortunately, if I can't upgrade
> > without paying thousands of dollars then I can't use it. I'm not asking
> > for help in customizing this tool; however, a decent Open Source tool
> > needs to be upgradable without pulling teeth.
> > I am decent with perl and databases and all the tools used with RT but I
> > don't have the time to dissect this tool and beg for help in terms of
> > doing a simple upgrade.
> > If my company needs to pay thousands of dollars to do things like
> > upgrading, then they'll get Remedy and be done with it.
> >

> Rob,
>
> 	I'm somewhat confused. You sent two messages earlier today
> explaining that when you try to migrate from RT 2.0 to a version of RT
> 3.0 that's almost a year out of date, you run into problems.   Certainly
> nobody from Best Practical told you that you need to pay thousands of
> dollars, or in fact any money at all to upgrade from RT 2 to RT 3.
> Certainly, it hasn't been an unacceptably long time to wait for other
> users of RT to reply to your mail. (Many of them are located in the US
> and are probably just reading their "morning" email right now.)
>
> If you can't afford to pay for help and can't work through a problem
> on your own, then sending irate, impatient mail to the community of other
> users of the tool isn't going to help you or anyone else out.

You are correct. Stress and lack of sleep does wonders.
I'll continue to troubleshoot and report any findings to the list.
I did find that you recommend perl 5.8.3. My FreeBSD upgrade box is at
perl 5.8.0.
I don't know enough of the codebase to determine if this is an issue;
however,
I'll be upgrading to perl 5.8.3 (the FreeBSD port to 5.83 is not
available yet)...
and going from there.
Thanks.

--
Rob Joost
Unix Administrator

KnowledgeNet
14624 N. Scottsdale Road, #300
Scottsdale, AZ  85254
Phone:   (480) 315-4841
Cell:    (602) 920-6113
Email: rob.joost@knowledgenet.com
Web:   <http://www.knowledgenet.com/>

Why KnowledgeNet? Listen and learn from top customers -- Cisco, US
Postal Service, and EMC, to name a few!
<http://www.knowledgenet.com/onlineevents/>

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. \
If you are not the intended recipient or believe that you may have received this \
communication in error, please reply to the sender indicating that fact and delete \
the copy you received. Thank you.