List:       rt-devel
Subject:    [rt-devel] Sybase port of RT3
From:       "Audley, Christopher" <Christopher.Audley () blackrock ! com>
Date:       2003-05-28 16:36:53

I apologize if this gets posted to the list twice.  The first time I tried to send \
it, my return address didn't match my subscription address, so I think it will be \
dropped.

We are in the process of implementing RT3 on Sybase.  We are pretty much done, RT3 \
runs and is mostly functional.  There are still a few limitations due to Sybase's \
lack of LIMIT support.

I have a few questions.  Our biggest bother during the port has been the Instance \
field in the Groups table.  Why is this a varchar?  It seems that it is only used to \
hold id values for other tables.  I've come across messages from last month \
mentioning this as a performance issue, but for Sybase it is a show stopper.  Joins \
of varchar against int won't work without explicit data conversions in the query.

We also found many instances of table id field values being quoted in queries.  Is \
this necessary for MySQL or PostgreSQL to work?  In Sybase, quoting the value makes \
it a char type and it won't compare against the int id field without an explicit \
conversion.  We ripped out the apparently unnecessary quotes and everything runs \
fine.

Cheers
Chris