List:       rsync
Subject:    Re: Mac OS X : "get_xattr_names: llistxattr("some/path/here",
From:       Henri Shustak <henri.shustak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-12-14 22:39:49

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to make a small script to get rid of Apple's TimeMachine. The aim is to \
> backup the files of my company. I setup a MacMini with a lot of storage attached to \
> it. The MacMini connects every once in a while to our data server (XServe) through \
> SSH and pulls the files that need to be saved (I'm using the --link-dest option to \
> limit the amount of files transferred, and to keep several backups).
> I've followed Mike Bombich's instructions to compile rsync 3.0.7 with patches \
> (fileflags, crtimes, crtimes-64bit, crtimes-hfs+ and hfs_compression) on both \
> machines. I'm running the script as root with the following options (which are \
> supposed to do the work) :
> -aNHAXx --fileflags --force-change --protect-decmpfs --numeric-ids
>
> The script works pretty fine except for one thing. When rsync builds the file list, \
> I get hundred of errors such as :
> rsync: get_xattr_names: llistxattr("some/path/here",1024) failed: No such file or \
> directory (2)
> Please notice that these errors don't appear if I'm not using the --link-dest \
> option or if the linked-dest-directory doesn't exist (first backup). Also, \
> "some/path/here" does exist on both side.
> I've read some doc about this error but it doesn't seem to fit my case and I'm \
> kinda stuck with it. It doesn't seem to be a serious issue but I'd like to be sure \
> about it and know if there is a way to get rid of them.
> Do you guys have any clue of what's going wrong or what I may doing wrong ?

As a first step you could try removing the -A <--acls, preserve ACLs (implies \
--perms)> option. It could be that the source system and your system do not have the \
same users.

Also, based upon the error you are receiving, one other option to consider removing \
would be the -X <--xattrs preserve extended attributes>.

It is possible, that something else is causing the error which you are seeing. \
Hopefully, at least one other person on this list will have some ideas which you may \
find helpful.

As a starting point try removing the arguments listed above and report back.

 This email is protected by LBackup,
 an rsync based, open source backup system
 designed for use with Mac OS X and GNU/Linux
 http://www.lbackup.org