List:       rsync
Subject:    Re: in/exclude[=] and multiple sources
From:       Ken Gillett <emailist () ukgb ! net>
Date:       2011-08-20 14:59:14

On 19 Aug 2011, at 18:35, Steven Levine wrote:

> In <CE4BCF0B-F15A-4665-A5A7-DE3C51183A00@ukgb.net>, on 08/19/11
> at 11:49 AM, Ken Gillett <emailist@ukgb.net> said:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> > I still think the docs should explain you can use either form.
>
> It does.  The first paragraph of the OPTIONS section states
>
> <snip>
> rsync uses the GNU long options package. Many of the  com-
> mand  line  options  have  two variants, one short and one
> long.  These are shown below, separated  by  commas.  Some
> options  only have a long variant.  The = for options that
> take a parameter  is  optional;  whitespace  can  be  used
> instead.
> </snip>

I stand corrected. Since I know about the long and short options concept, I guess my \
brain just filtered out the rest without me knowing.

> As stated in the second paragraph of the FILTER RULES section
>
> <snip>
> As  the  list  of  files/directories to transfer is built,
> rsync checks each name to be transferred against the  list
> of  include/exclude patterns in turn, and the first match-
> ing pattern is acted on:  if it  is  an  exclude  pattern,
> then  that  file  is  skipped; if it is an include pattern
> then that filename is not skipped; if no matching  pattern
> is found, then the filename is not skipped.
> </snip>
>
> Mentally, I replace references to file and filename to file/directory,
> because that's really what is meant.

Knowing what I now know, I can understand what that is saying, but when trying to \
figure out the whole 'relative' path thing for includes and excludes and multiple \
sources, it wasn't that clear to me. Or many others in fact since the 'Net is \
littered with questions about problems with getting these paths correct. Still, glad \
to know I had  worked it out correctly:-)

Ken  G i l l e t t