List:       rsync
Subject:    bwlimit only on server side
From:       Andrew Gideon <c182driver1 () gideon ! org>
Date:       2009-03-23 17:05:13

I want to use rsync under the control (ie. initiated from) the client
side, but with the bandwidth controlled by the server side.  I can force
the bwlimit option on the command line executed on the server, but will
this make a difference given that the files are being sent from client to
server?

If not, is there some other way to limit this bandwidth inbound to the
server?  I know that I can do this with tc, but I'm hoping for a more
rsync-ish (or ssh-ish, since this would be running over ssh) approach on
the assumption that this would be smarter (ie. avoiding dropping packets
(ie. "policing") to slow the client's sending).

Thanks...

	Andrew