List:       rsync
Subject:    Re: Permissions
From:       Dave Dykstra <dwd () lucent ! com>
Date:       1999-05-21 13:49:31

On May 21,  3:15pm, Frank Beale wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am very new to rsync but I have set up a server and when trying to
> mirror my /var/spool/mail directory, "I get permission denied".
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need to add or change so I can mirror these
> files, but keep everything secure.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Beale
> http://www.bealenet.com

The most secure solution is to not use an rsync server, but to instead use
'-e ssh' and a single colon rather than a double colon.  This will only
work of course if you have sshd running on your server, and you'll need to
use an appropriate level of authentication for ssh according to its
documentation.

The next best thing is to use rsyncd's "uid = root", "auth users = root",
and a "secrets file" (readable only by root on the server) with a password
for the root user, so that the module is protected by password.  Then, on
the client put that password in a file that is also only readable by root
and use rsync's --password-file.  The password is not sent over the
network, so if you trust your server and client this really is a pretty
secure solution.

- Dave Dykstra