List:       rsync
Subject:    Re: bugs in two of my new features
From:       dwd () samba ! anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1998-11-18 16:08:36

On Wed Nov 18 05:28:44 1998 I wrote:
> bwhittak@cvedg.cv.com wrote on Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:08:42 GMT:
> > >There's also a problem with --compare-dest.  In some circumstances (I think
> > >when using -a) it will not copy files to the new destination that are
> > >completely identical to the files in the --compare-dest.
> >
> > Actually that could be quite a good extra option - *only* copy to the new
> > destination the files that are different.  That would then allow you to be
> > a bit picky about the new files you actually installed, or do special
> > things about them.
> The main problem with not installing all the files in the new destination
> when using --compare-dest is that you don't have a way of knowing which
> files should be deleted (hey, it looks like deletes aren't logged at
> all Tridge, maybe they should be noted in %o and only logged if %o is
> part of the format).  I see that someone still might want it the way you
> suggest to avoid the extra overhead of copying the files that haven't
> changed from the compare destination to the new destination.  Still, I
> don't think I should add an option in this case until someone has a
> specific need for it.  For now I think I'll choose one or the other,
> because actually either way would work for my intended use (which is
> from nsbd, where I always pass a pre-known list of files to copy via
> "+" includes and "- *" at the end).  I think I have to do something,
> because it is currently inconsistent on whether or not it copies the
> files that haven't changed to the new destination.

After further investigation I discovered that we can have it both
ways after all, and I don't have to do anything other than change the
documentation!  It turns out that the reason the files were skipped was
because the optimization that skips files which have the same length and
modification time was kicking in.  That optimization can be disabled
with -I, so I changed the --compare-dest documentation to say that -I
is needed if you want to completely fill in the new destination.

Also, I noted in the -t documentation that if -t or -a is not used, the
optimization will never kick in and a subsequent transfer will behave as
if -I were used, comparing checksums for every file and logging every
file.

- Dave Dykstra