List:       rsync
Subject:    poll regarding rsync wildcards
From:       dwd () samba ! anu ! edu ! au
Date:       1998-11-02 22:18:54

Someone has reported that rsync's exclude patterns do not behave like
shell wildcard matching in that the pattern matching doesn't stop
at "/", and has suggested that rsync include the FNM_PATHNAME option
to the call to fnmatch().  This would change the behavior of existing
patterns, and would probably require a change to the client/server protocol
version in order to ensure that the client and server used the same
method.  I am inclined to not make the change, but I would like to
solicit opinions from rsync users.  If you have strong opinions for or
against, please send email to dwd@samba.anu.edu.au.  If you believe your
reasons are very pursuasive, send them to the mailing list instead if you
prefer.

- Dave Dykstra