List:       rsync
Subject:    Re: rsync memory usage?
From:       Andrew Tridgell <tridge () samba ! anu ! edu ! au>
Date:       1998-07-23 1:40:03

> I need to move lots (~56GB) of data from one network appliance fileserver
> to another.

The amount of data is basically irrelevant for memory usage. The thing
that matters is the total number of files. rsync will use about 80
bytes per file at each end (this is very rough, take it as a rule of
rule of thumb only).

Paul and I have discussed this, and we have worked out how to avoid it
completely but it will require some major surgery to rsync. I doubt
I'll get it done soon.

This is one of the bad consequences of developing rsync on a machine
with 256MB of ram :)

     - Tridge