List:       rsync
Subject:    a few problems...
From:       Scott Smith <scotts () cybersource ! com>
Date:       1998-07-21 21:28:17

Hi, I've been using rsync 2.0.18 for about a month to mirror about 2GB of data
on two machines every 30 minutes.  I've experienced a few problems, one of
which may not be rsync-related:

 * The data I'm mirroring mostly consists of Raima (blech) databases that are
   constantly growing.  I've had rsync dump core on me several times, and I
   believe this to be the problem. I unfortunately don't have a corefile,
   thought I *may* be able to restore one off tape.

 * I've experienced problems with /tmp filling up at random times on both
   machines that run rsync.  They're Solaris machines, so /tmp is swap (about
   2GB).  It doesn't happen systematically, though; my rsyncs were running
   every 30 minutes with a duration of about four to five minutes each run.  I
   stopped using rsync and went back to rdist last Friday and the problem has
   yet to reoccur.  I'm not really able to watch the problem as it happens
   because it happens so irregularly.  When it happens, it does happen on both
   machines simultaneously, and their load shoots up to at least 30.  It lasts
   for about nine minutes each time, and I can't figure out wtf is causing it.

Here's the script that was run from cron every 30 minutes:

----
#!/bin/sh

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export PATH
PAYSERVERS="otherhost"
RSYNC="/usr/local/bin/rsync -e ssh -avz --stats"

$RSYNC /ccash/ $PAYSERVERS:/ccash >/dev/null 2>&1
----

I'd appreciate any help with either of the two problems.

Scott

--
scotts@cybersource.com, scott@lackluster.net

4.4 > 98