List:       rsync
Subject:    updating timestamps and hard links
From:       Ken Raeburn <raeburn () raeburn ! org>
Date:       1997-08-23 18:51:09

(My request to join the list hasn't gotten through yet, because the
list server seems to be down.  Sorry if this duplicates any current or
recent discussion.  Also, is there an archive somewhere?)

I recently picked up rsync-1.6.3 and started using it on my mail
directories, in place of the perl script I'd been using (which was in
turn a big improvement over rdist in my case).  Looks pretty spiffy!

Only one little nit to pick so far:

As I've been using it (rsync -aCHuzv --delete), it appears to create
hard links after updating directory timestamps.  But creating the hard
links modifies the directory timestamps.  Which means another run
immediately following the first, with no modifications on the source
end, will still result in updates to the destination end.  Ideally I
think the second run should never find anything to update.  Perhaps
the directory timestamps could be saved until after the hard links are
done?

Ken