List:       rrd-users
Subject:    Re: [rrd-users] How to get MAX/MIN of non-rates?
From:       "Simon Hobson"  <linux () thehobsons ! co ! uk>
Date:       2013-04-04 11:59:02

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > No, how can you be sure that the rate didn't change a microsecond after you read \
> > it ?
>
> My point is regarding values that are *not* rates.

Soryy, for rate read value.
You read a value at t=0, you have absolutely no idea what the value at t=1 is, nor \
t=2, and so on until you read it again at t=10.

> > The way it's doing it now is not incorrect, just not what you want.
>
> I know it's not incorrect, *iff* the supplied gauge values indicate rates
> since the time of the previous value.

It's still not incorrect if storing absolute values. There is no "correct" for this \
situation - only what best suits your needs.

> I guess my point is that RRD would be enhanced if it was able to store
> values that don't indicate rates, but rather the last known value of a
> scalar quantity, and the time of that value (implying "until further
> notice").

That's not likely. The whole purpose of RRD is to store rates, there are other tools \
that will store values.

> But anyway, at least I have a workaround.

Indeed.