List:       rrd-users
Subject:    Re: [rrd-users] ERROR: malformed trend arguments
From:       Casey McGinty <casey.mcginty () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-09-20 6:53:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> wrote:

> > Can someone explain what is happening in this example? I would like to
> > compute a trend along with my data.
> >
> > $ rrdtool create temp.rrd --step 1 DS:temp:GAUGE:30:0:U
> > DS:trend:COMPUTE:temp,10,TRENDNAN RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:10
> > $ rrdtool update temp.rrd N:3
> > ERROR: temp.rrd: malformed trend arguments
>

> this might be stretching the COMPUTE data source type a bit ...
> normally TREND(NAN) is used in CDEF arements of rrd graph. any
> particular reason you wand to compute this ahead of presentation?

Tobi, I was just experimenting with this feature. Right now I'm using
RRDTool as a backend database for a web service. I'm not going to be  using
the RRD graphing features. I know I can go back and generate this data
outside of RRD, I just figured I would try to get RRD to do as much of the
work as possible. What are your thoughts?

- Casey