List:       rpmorg-maint
Subject:    [Rpm-maint] Planning for rpm 4.13.0 (-rc2)
From:       pmatilai () laiskiainen ! org (Panu Matilainen)
Date:       2016-10-19 11:06:15

On 10/19/2016 01:44 PM, Thierry Vignaud wrote:

>>> It would be nice to fix lib/rpmscript.c  so that filetriggers
>>> warnings/errors would be reported as such instead of as regular (aka
>>> package) triggers errors
>>>
>>> The issue is that rpmScriptNew() doesn't know the type of triggers
>>> (package, file) and thus it doesn't store the right thing in script->desc
>>>
>>> Ie when findTag() is called, it doesn't know the type of triggers
>>> (package, file), it just has enough info to know whether the script
>>> comes from a trigger or from a regular scriptlet but file & pkg
>>> triggers are threaded the same way because we don't have a
>>> rpmscriptTriggerModes variable to consider
>>> This makes harder to debug issues...
>>>

>> Please please people, would be nices have no place on this particular list.
>> See this explanation for the kind of things that matter right now:
>> http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-maint/2016-October/004604.html
>>
>> The time for would be nices is after we get 4.13.0 out of the door. OTOH
>> there too in order to backport something to 4.13.1 it'd need to be fixed in
>> master first :)
>
> I understand that but:
> filetriggers is a new feature of 4.13.0 and it generate bogus error messages...
> That should be fixed, maybe not in RC2, but in final release at least IMHO

Generating bogus error messages is not nice, however that's just fluff
that can be fixed at any time. That is the key here.

The quest is for IRREVOCABLE things, ie stuff for which we might have to
carry workarounds in rpm forever if not fixed NOW. Such as the rich
dependency syntax changing.

	- Panu -