List:       rpmorg-maint
Subject:    [Rpm-maint] RPM 4.7.0 beta1 available
From:       pkarlsen () rpm5 ! org (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_=D8yvind_Karlsen?=)
Date:       2009-03-18 18:13:03

2009/3/18 Per ?yvind Karlsen <pkarlsen at rpm5.org>

> 2009/3/18 Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org>
>
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Per ?yvind Karlsen wrote:
>>
>>  2009/3/10 Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>
>>>      On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:24:17PM +0100, Mark Rosenstand
>>>      wrote:
>>>      > RPM won't build against
>>>      > the xz 4.999.8beta running here. But this was also the case
>>>      for 4.6.0.
>>>
>>> Fixed. The HEAD rpm should build (and work) fine with
>>> xz-4.999.8beta.
>>>
>>> Jindrich
>>>
>>> Yet it's still left incompatible with existing lzma payload support in
>>> OpenSuSE, rpm5 & Mandriva..
>>>
>>> Me and pixel has both reported this several times and provided patches to
>>> fix since long time ago, trivial to fix, still no fix happens and
>>> incompatible rpm versions are knowingly released.
>>>

>> Ugh, I thought this had already been taken care of, haven't been paying
>> attention to the XZ/LZMA side at all.
>>
>>  One could start wondering if you deliberately try to introduce
>>> incompatibilities, but I'm giving you more credit than that, and I really
>>> prefer to not start making up any paranoid claims, but *PLEASE* get this
>>> fixed _ASAP_ before it gets adopted and "impossible" to fix in any clean
>>> fashion.
>>>

>> Not intentional, more a matter of miscommunication/misunderstanding I
>> think. Jindrich is on vacation far away from keyboard so I took care of it
>> myself. The patch in Mandriva rpm was a bit big for my taste (combining
>> trivial renames and added functionality etc) so I split it up a bit and left
>> the unnecessary rpmio-internal lz->xz rename out:
>>
>> http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=commitdiff;h=8078d0ba24662308b10d9eb0f0da978584b7e757
>>
>> http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=commitdiff;h=fa0898552d3c52249bc41e8104eda02c1bbd3359
>>
>> AFAICT this is now compatible with Suse, Mandriva (these two tested) and
>> rpm5 too, but I'd appreciate if you can eyeball for any missed bits. I'm
>> going to roll a new beta tarball in a few days with these changes included.
>
> Ah, great! :)
>
> I just glanced at them, seems okay, I'm happy now. :D
> I was starting to worry about fugly incompatibilities in each and every
> direction there for a moment. ;)
>
> Thx!

oh, btw.: xz now  uses compression level presets from 0-9 in stead of 1-9,
so now preset levels has become i-1 from what was earlier with 9 being a new
preset.

I see you didn't copy use of LZMA_PRESET_DEFAULT for setting level in
lzopen_internal(), but I suggest using that in stead, or at least updating
the value from 7 to 6 there as well as in macros.in. (Yes, macros.in in
Mandriva patch says 7 is default, while 6 is actually correct, but
whatever.. ;)

--
Regards,
Per ?yvind