List:       rpmorg-maint
Subject:    [Rpm-maint] nss3/nss.h build issue
From:       rc040203 () freenet ! de (Ralf Corsepius)
Date:       2007-12-07 15:39:40

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 13:46 +0100, Pixel wrote:
> Mark Rosenstand <mark at borkware.net> writes:
>
> >> Actually you can completely drop the path. So nss.h should be enough if
> >> pkg-config works fine for NSS on Mandriva. Of course the defaults for
> >> the compilation without pkg-config are wrong for your case.
> >
> > But since upstream NSS doesn't include a .pc file, it would be nice if
> > the location was configurable in a way similar to Evolution, i.e.
> > --with-nss-includes=/usr/include/nss
> >
> > Long-term it would be nice if NSS did include a pkg-config file :)
>
> maybe the default could /usr/include/nss when there is no .pc (since
> upstream defaults to /usr/include/nss afaik), since on fedora the .pc
> will always be there...
IMO, the whole check should

a) be changed to using standard autoconf checks, i.e. to rely upon
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS instead of using hard-coded wild guesses. I plan to
look into this, when time permits (unfortunately, time is scare for me
these days.:( )

b) not be using pkg-config. *.pc are only reliable if upstream ships
them.

Also worth mentioning: the *.pc's as being shipped with Fedora seem to
be broken to me (c.f. the grep next to the call to pkg-config call
inside of rpm's configure.ac.).

Ralf