List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    "Requires" range
From:       rpm83455 () rainslide ! net (Paul)
Date:       2015-09-15 16:31:36

On Tuesday, 15 September, 2015 at 16:59:57 BST, James Antill wrote:
> > Error: Package: foo (bar)
> > Requires: java < 1.8
> > You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> > You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>
> Is this all it said? Does this machine have anything that provides
> "java < 1.8" ? This range should mostly work, apart from problems you'll
> hit post install where yum wants to upgrade java (assuming 1.8 is
> available) but the upgrade will fail.

Just before that, there were other messages telling me that Java 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and \
1.8 were available. Sorry for not including them in the output.

> The new OR rule is basically a simpler way of using virtual provides,
> so you can just do it the older more complex way:
>
> pkgA: Requires: pkgA-java-backend
>
> pkgA-java-backend16: Provides: pkgA-java-backend
> Requires: java = 1.6
>
> pkgA-java-backend17: Provides: pkgA-java-backend
> Requires: java = 1.7
>
> ...of course you'll still hit the upgrade problem.

I really don't want to cause any problems in future. Maybe I'll just document that \
one has to have 1.6 or 1.7 installed already, before installing my package. It could \
be a limitation we'll live with until we can update support for 1.8.