List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Rpm Sharing
From:       JB <herperjb () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2005-01-25 21:17:22

Hello,

I have what appears to be a rather unique question, which has not been answered on \
the Internet, rpm website; the one I visited is http://www.rpm.org/, support pages \
and linked, or documentation.

I am interested in running an rpm-based distribution that has some new features, that \
I have outlined below.

      Native support for serial ata. I consider native support as not requiring \
external drivers at startup or installation.  Hyper-Threading Technology

> From my research in order to get the two features I have listed, I will need a \
> distribution that is running either kernel 2.6 or later.

I looked up where I stand as far as driver support under linux, and luckily my system \
manufacture already provides native drivers, but their limited on distributions.

      SUSE Linux
      Red Hat Linux 9

Would I receive the following features with rpm, 1. cross-compatibility. If I took a \
Red Hat Linux 9 rpm could I install it on a different distribution? 2. backwards \
compatibility. Is it possible to use a 4.1 rpm distributable on a older rpm \
installation?

Thank you

JB