List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: Requires either of two packages
From:       bob () proulx ! com (Bob Proulx)
Date:       2005-01-16 0:28:45

Yochai Shefi-Simchon wrote:
> I'd like to add a requirement in an RPM for either one of two packages.
> That is, the rpm should be installed if either of libelf-devel or
> elfutils-devel is installed.

AFAICT rpm lacks the functionality to do this.

As a workaround you can create two other meta packages.  The first
would require libelf-devel and provide an elf devel capability
string.  The second would require elfutils-devel and provide the same
elf capability string.  Then your package would require the elf
capability string.  Since this is provided by either of the other two
packages your requirements are met.  However this is clearly a hack.

> Since none of these packages provides the other (for some reason I don't
> really understand), I couldn't find a way to specify this requirement in
> the spec file.

Your only real course of action is to work with both of the other
package providers to add the provides to their package and with their
next release.  Or use the hack.

Bob