List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: Ownership not set correct on files ?
From:       bob () proulx ! com (Bob Proulx)
Date:       2005-01-16 0:14:31

Brian Ipsen wrote:
> %attr(0644,root,qmail) %config(noreplace) %{qdir}/control/badmailfrom
> %attr(0644,root,qmail) %config(noreplace) %{qdir}/control/badmailto
>
> among other ... But when checking the ownership of the files after
> installation (and using e.g. Midnight Commander tp look inside the RPM), all
> files and folders seems to be owned by root/root ...

That would imply to me that the group 'qmail' does not exist on the
system.  Does this work?

  touch foo
  chgrp root:qmail foo

If not then rpm won't be able to set the permissions either and will
fall back to using root:root.

If you must have a particular group and it is not standard on the
system then the usual thing is to use groupadd to create it in the
preinstall script before rpm unpacks the files.

Bob