List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: Free list corrupt error; no luck with rebuilddb
From:       Paolo Campanella <paolo () mighty ! co ! za>
Date:       2004-04-26 15:37:12

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 16:53, Paolo Campanella wrote:

> Now, although db_verify makes things look really bad:

[...]

> This makes me think that somehow I've ended up with an incorrect version
> of Berkeley DB which makes things look worse than they are. This box was
> upgraded many time over the years as you can tell from the above.

I've determined that my database is in db.1.85 format, and I can
db1_dump185 all files successfully, except for packages.rpm:

[paolo@modemsza rpm-db-copy]$ db1_dump185 -f triggerindex.dump
triggerindex.rpm

[paolo@modemsza rpm-db-copy]$ db1_dump185 -f packages.dump packages.rpm
db1_dump185: packages.rpm: Invalid argument

[paolo@modemsza rpm-db-copy]$ file requiredby.rpm
requiredby.rpm: Berkeley DB 1.85 (Hash, version 2, native byte-order)

[paolo@modemsza rpm-db-copy]$ file packages.rpm
packages.rpm: data

The start of the packages.rpm does indeed look different to the rest. So
I suppose I'm now asking for any advice on how to recover data from a
trashed db.1.85 file ;)

Bye

Paolo