List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: Packaging kernel modules
From:       Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm () ATrpms ! net>
Date:       2004-04-22 22:47:22

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:14:52PM -0600, Bryan Stillwell wrote:
> I've seen his page, but it doesn't look like he's solved the mixed
> architecture problem that I was asking about.  One of the first
> answers on his help page is:
>
>   Unresolved externals in ntfs.o
>
>   This is most commonly caused by installing the wrong RPM. Very few
>   people will need the i386. Have a read through the instructions and
>   check that you used the correct RPM.
>
> I'm trying to avoid having this problem by requiring the same
> architecture as the kernel RPM.

There is no way to do this with current rpm mechanics and kernel
packaging. This is why there have been various suggestions of the type

Provides: strictdep-kernel-smp-2.4.22-2.188.nptl

e.g. embedding the required information into virtual Provides in the
kernel the kernel modules can hook on. This has been done for the
ATrpms and PlanetCCRMA kernel, but not for the Red Hat ones. There are
also some bugzillas floating for this issue.

Currently your best bet is to have automated package resolvers like
apt and yum chose the matching arch for the packages, and you can hope
that this will be the same for the kernel and your kernel modules.

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 03:19:46PM -0400, James_Martin@ao.uscourts.gov wrote:
> >You really should check out this link..  This guy builds the linux-ntfs
> >module RPM for basically every version of Red Hat since 7 and for every
> >kernel errata... and explains how he does it.. Should be a great
> >reference.
> >
> >http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html
> >
> >James S. Martin, RHCE
> >Contractor
> >Administrative Office of the United States Courts
> >Washington, DC
> >(202) 502-2394

Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net