List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: Dependency query
From:       Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2002-12-10 17:33:13

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 10:03:01 at 10:03:01AM -0500, Peter Bowen (pzb@datastacks.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 05:05, Pragati Kr. Dhingra wrote:
> > It should not have anything to do with version. I am
> > having an rpm, all I want is to somehow print all the
> > other packages which it are its pre-requisits. This
> > information is contained in the rpm itself but how do
> > I get it ?
>
> Packages have four types of dependencies -- provides, requires,
> obsoletes, and conflicts.  You can get the dependencies of each package
> by running 'rpm -qp --provides', 'rpm -qp --requires', 'rpm -qp
> --obsoletes', and 'rpm -qp --conflicts'.
>
> > 	The actual problem is that I am trying to build a
> > tool for configuring and installing another system --
> > lets call it target system -- which is different from
> > the system on which this tool is running -- lets call
> > it source system.
> >        I want to make sure that this selected
> > set is self contained, i.e., these rpms will install
> > on the target system assuming that it may not have
> > even a single rpm as of now (and in that case the set
> > will have to include glibc).

[snip]

> What you are embarking on is an interesting road, only traveled by a
> few.  Ask the authors of Red Carpet, Red Hat Network, apt-rpm, rpmfind,
> and similar utilities for their experiences with dependency resolution.

(me waving his hands) within my limits, I've been trying to do exactly
what Pragati is asking with DAn:
http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/dan.php

It is still alpha, and haven't ported it to RH 8.0 yet, but it is at
least something to start playing with: obviously, *every*
feedback/cooperation is welcome!

	Ciao,
		Marco Fioretti