List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: rpm doesn't recognize that apache installed
From:       Rex Dieter <rdieter () math ! unl ! edu>
Date:       2002-07-03 15:58:28

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 10:45 am, rpm-list-request@redhat.com wrote:
> This thread arises one more question: are there any plans of implementing
> something that will check fo actual presence of binaries, not packages. As
> a good example I should mention Java (precisely JDK/JRE). Both IBM's and
> SUN's (those in RPM format) do not provide any common feature even thought
> they are replaceble,

This kind of problem can be blamed on poor packaging, not limitations in rpm.

For more background on this particular example, I'd suggest you look at
http://jpackage.sourceforge.net/
We're trying to create java rpms (including JDK's/JRE's) into a standard,
replaceable, work-out-of-the-box format.

-- Rex