List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: Building RPM 4.0.4 from sources
From:       Jeff Johnson <jbj () redhat ! com>
Date:       2002-05-25 16:00:06

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 08:09:07AM +0200, Zitanium B. wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to build RPM 4.0.4 from sources I've downloaded
> from ftp.rpm.org.
>
> As INSTALL file states it, I've also downloaded and installed zlib-1.1.4 et
> db-3.3.11.

rpm-4.0.4 no longer needs needs/uses the db package, has an internal
copy.

> All works fine (or seems to) until I try to run ./autogen.sh script from
> the rpm-4.0.4 dir. It tries to cd into a zlib subdirectory that the rpm
> package doesn't create, then complains about a missing 'depcomp' file,
> then crashes.
>
> If I comment out the zlib line in autogen.sh, I can run until end of
> configure step. But make does complain about missing depcomp file...

autogen.sh is not needed or useful when building from a tarball, is run
only from a CVS checkout to recreate various files.

You're using a later version of automake et al tools than what
is used to build rpm-4.0.4.

> Running ./configure directly is not better as it complains also about
> missing Makefile...

Not true, ./configure creates a Makefile from Makefile.in.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ
jbj@redhat.com (jbj@jbj.org)