List:       rpmorg-list
Subject:    Re: RPM upgrade problem
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2000-11-14 5:17:17

David Hsu wrote:

> hi,
>
> I messed up the RPM when trying to upgrade from rpm
> 3.0x to 4.0. I did all the standard things and am not
> sure what I did wrong.
>
> Currently when I try to run kpackage (a GUI frontend
> to RPM), the error message is:

> kpackage: error in loading shared libraries:
> /usr/lib/librpmbuild.so.0: undefined symbol:
> rpmGlobalMacroContext
>
> Also when I run the command "rpm -e", it complains
> that
> /usr/lib/librpm.so.0 has undefined symbols.
>
> It looks to me that the problem is mainly with the
> librpm and librpmbuild, but I am not sure how to fix
> it.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> --David

First, to use Kpackage, the documentation says you need both "rpm" and
"rpm-devel"  [same version].    Have you installed both in the new
version?

"librpm" is on the files list for "rpm" so, I would try to install it
("rpm") again.  Use "rpm  -i  --force" if necessary since you don't have
Kpackage running.

Then you will need to upgrade to v. 1.3.10-7.  Be sure to get this
version, the one that came with RH 7 has a bug in it!!!

JRT