List:       rpm-devel
Subject:    Re: building rpm 5.4.1
From:       Jeff Johnson <n3npq () mac ! com>
Date:       2011-07-31 23:54:35

On Jul 31, 2011, at 7:43 PM, Robert Xu wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 19:42, Robert Xu <robxu9@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ++ searching location: internal
>> -- skipping not existing local sub-directory: db3
>> configure: error: unable to find internal Berkeley-DB library
>> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.xXGIng (%build)
>>
>> that's... not supposed to happen, right?
>>

> (what I mean by that is why is it looking for a db3 directory instead
> of a 'db' directory?)

Hysterical reasons mostly … the directory in which
to build Berkeley DB could be called anything.

The name "db3" was chosen at the time because the Berkeley
DB in use was db-3.x.y.

If/when using cvs, one tries not to rename directories
because some manual scripting is almost certainly needed
to handle directory renaming issues.

SHort answer:
	Easier to live with existing than to "fix".

The name on the directory simply doesn't matter.

hth