List:       rpm-devel
Subject:    Re: [CVS] RPM: rpm/ devtool.conf
From:       Anders_F_Björklund <afb () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2011-05-12 14:47:00

Jeff Johnson wrote:

>> One other problem is that the "tools" are using $(OPENMP_CFLAGS)
>> but not $(OPENMP_LIBS), which leads to missing symbols at runtime:
>>
>> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _GOMP_parallel_start
>>
>> One workaround is --disable-openmp, but for it to work it also needs
>> to include the libraries which are compiler-dependent (gcc: libgomp)
>>

> --disable-openmp needs -lgomp? That's broken ...

I meant the workaround to the missing symbol (with OpenMP)
is to disable it, otherwise it'll default to "on" if present.

e.g. configure wull detect the compiler flags and enable it,
and then fail to link for the tools doing indirect libraries

>> Beecrypt does this, but on Darwin each library (like rpmio) also must...
>>

> Hmmm ... beecrypt was the model for what is in rpm. If it
> isn't exactly same behavior than something is screwed.

AFAIK, beecrypt is doing some additional overrides for GCC:
i.e. there is a BEE_GNU_CC routine, that continues AC_OPENMP

> The problem on Mac OS X is LLVM != gcc and (at the time I looked) there wasn't any
> clarity or guidance of what to do. I tried both compilers, and GCC was much more pain
> than not using OPENMP. This was perhaps 18-24 months ago.
>
> Given a choice between using LLVM (and clang) vs getting tied
> to a "second class" compiler like GCC on Mac OS X in order to use GOMP,
> well OPENMP doesn't have a whole lot of benefit for either
> beecrypt or rpm atm.

Right, there's even 3 compilers now: gcc, llvm-gcc and clang.

>> PS. Something like:
>> AC_OPENMP
>> if test ".`$CC --version 2>&1 | grep 'GCC'`" != .; then
>> if test "$OPENMP_CFLAGS" != ""; then
>>   AC_SUBST(OPENMP_LIBS,"-lgomp")
>> fi
>> fi
>>

> There were SUPPOSED to be useful AutoFu macros and I tried to use
> exactly by the book.
>
> If the above makes it easier for what you are doing, go fer it!

Beecrypt (from MacPorts) already had --disable-openmp, so did too.

--anders