List:       rpm-devel
Subject:    Re: Headers, librpm*: compatibility with rpm-4.4.x
From:       Peter Volkov <pva () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2008-01-29 10:20:03

Thank you for answer Jeff.

В Чтв, 24/01/2008 в 09:02 -0500, Jeff Johnson пишет:
> On Jan 23, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Peter Volkov wrote:
> > I've asked this question in rpm-user, but since there are not answers
> > I'll try here.
>
> Ah, Gentoo "hard mask" fixing for rpm-5.0 is on this week's todo list.
> Perfect timing.

It was not hardmased, but now it was finally decided to hardmask rpm-5.0
until build issues will be resolved.

> > The problem is that some (I'm aware about two applications:
> > sussen[1], net-snmp[2]) programs which compile fine with rpm-4.4.x
> > fail to compile with rpm-5.x.

> There is a replacement mechanism to export the rpmdb information
> that  net-snmp needs for the HR-MIB that uses only opendir(3) and
> stat(2) to populate the HR-MIB that should be ported to net-snmp. That
> will eliminate the incompatibilities forever by using a simpler
> interface. Details here
>      http://www.mail-archive.com/rpm-devel@rpm5.org/msg00113.html
> and also sent to net-snmp-devel list at some point quite a while ago.

FYI, I've opened upstream bug report to track this issue:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1881702&group_id=12694&atid=112694

> sussen I haven't looked at, but I think its the same net-snmp issue?
> Otherwise I don't understand why a net-analyzer is linking rpm at all.

Yes I think so. May be if I'll see patch for net-snmp I'll fix sussen
too.

> There's also the Gentoo OpenOffice incompatibility bug with (iirc)
> rpm_unload.

I saw some message about this in this list but seems that in gentoo it's
possibile to build OpenOffice without rpm.

> I'll be happy to help with the fixing as soon as I get a gentoo VM
> set up.

Thank you very much for you help. Could you, please, CC me in case
you'll send patches upstream?

BTW, for general education, could you tell me, how it's supposed to link
with librpm when headers of librpm are not complete - do not contain
system headers they depend on? Or should we avoid installation of that
headers at all?

--
Peter.