List:       ros-users
Subject:    [ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial,
From:       ros.discourse () gmail ! com (suforeman)
Date:       2017-02-18 15:45:46

I do see the attention to Ubuntu Core. This is why my previous conclusion was to \
suggest ROS to consider Raspbian or even one of the other fully supported Linux \
distributions for the Raspberry Pi audience.

Here is where I see a divergence between ROS and Ubuntu as far as the Raspberry Pi is \
concerned.

The majority of Raspberry Pi owners (and the focus of the Raspberry Pi org) is the \
experimentor, student, tinkerer, maker, learner, creator.

Ubuntu Core appears to focus on IoT which is more of a commercial direction.

Unless a lot more packages are constructed as Snaps, it leaves very little usefulness \
for a large segment of the Raspberry Pi user base. (You can't just "apt-get install" \
on Ubuntu Core.

Is ROS considering a focus on Ubuntu Core?

My personal activity with ROS is more "research" and "creator" and not IoT. None of \
the Taspbery Pi based projects I'm involved in are looking at Ubuntu Core.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/information-for-those-using-raspberry-pi-ubuntu-xenial-and-ros-kinetic/1205/8) \
or reply to this email to respond.