List:       ros-general
Subject:    Re: [ros-general] Is really the whole ReactOS GPL? Then its a problem.
From:       "KJK::Hyperion" <noog () libero ! it>
Date:       2004-02-24 23:39:12

At 11.56 24/02/2004, you wrote:
>The problem of the GPL is, that you can't link GPL-incompatible programs
>(that are the most of the Windows-programs) with GPL libraries.

please, don't get too wound up in technicalities, use your common sense.
It's the intention that matters, not contorted semantic trickery: the
intention of who wrote those programs was clearly to produce programs that
use *Windows functionality*, not programs that use *our code*. Therefore
they have no obligation towards us

>If you want to create a closed-source library, which linked to Qt, you
>need the commercial license of the Qt, because you can only link to
>GPL-libraries, if your program is GPL-compatible.

not to sound like a fool (to me, at least), try this simple exercise: never
say "GPL". We all know what the license says, and we all know ReactOS is
licensed under those terms, there's no need to repeatedly bang us in the
head with keywords. But most importantly there's nothing magic about the
GPL. It's just a license, its terms are perfectly reasonable and it fits
the needs of many software projects. Regain control of our brain, realize
that if you just say "the license" the sense of our argument won't change a
bit. You may also realize, as a side effect, that most of what you're
saying implies something mystical or magical about the GPL, and, that
definitely not being the case, that you should rethink all of it

That said, it's still a matter of intentions. You don't write Qt programs
with the intention of having them use the functionality of a hypothetical,
abstract "Qt interface". You write a Qt program to use the Qt library by
Trolltech inc., licensed under terms such and such. If there was, say, a
public-domain clone of Qt, then your intention *could* be to use the
abstract "Qt interface" described by the publically available
documentation, so you *could* ignore the licensing terms set by Trolltech

>All modules for the Linux-kernel and all drivers are GPL. And they _must_
>be GPL, because the kernel is GPL.

now try to reformulate this in term of intentions, and without ever saying
"Linux" or "GPL" - call them "the system" and "the system's license". Using
emotionally charged words to win an argument is a bit too easy, isn't it?

>But you want to use with ReactOS closed-source drivers. So your
>ReactOS-kernel can not be GPL or it is not legal to use all the
>MS-Windows-drivers for ReactOS.

no intention to use our code, no infringement