List:       ros-general
Subject:    [ros-general] Shell32 performance
From:       "Martin Fuchs" <martin-fuchs () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-12-25 6:59:19

Hello,

just for curiosity I compiled a Release version of explorer using the current Wine \
shell32/comctl32 implementation. You can get it at \
http://www.sky.franken.de/explorer/explorer-wine.zip.

...and what do you guess?
This version feels reasonable faster while browsing the start menu than using the \
shell32.dll shipped with Windows XP!

Sure - we are currently not yet reading all those registry entries we should to \
determine the correct icons to display. Also Wine's shell32 does not yet support \
things like control panel and recycle bin. But looking into the supported start menu \
folders I can't see any substantial missing functionality comparing the two versions.

Merry Christmas!