List:       ros-general
Subject:    Re: [ros-general] AVI video playback under ROS --- now
From:       "Aleksey Bragin" <aleksey () studiocerebral ! com>
Date:       2003-11-28 14:08:39

             Tobias,
you're certainly right, and in the long run ROS must have its own player
(may be based on mplayer) something like ReactOS Media Player. My player
doesn't pretend to take its part, just because it's a commercial software,
which I partly own. And it pursues different goal --- to play video on every
system, which theoretically can playback the video.

But currently any other player would hardly work on ROS since there is no
support for codecs and VFW yet, and support all usable formats through a
compatible with Windows codecs mechanism, like WinXP does now.

Also, as for vplite, it's a two-step process:
1) Forward step -- I commented out all code making ROS to hang, changed all
registry calls to just hardcoded values,
removed support for stretching image, etc. And made it working at last, so
this step is done. (No serious input to ROS yet, just 'hacking' code so it
works under ROS)
2) Backward step -- Removing comments from vplite code, and make ROS not
hang and support all the needed functions,
which are very likely to be used in the most of other applications.

Thanks for commenting,
With the best regards,
Aleksey Bragin.