List:       ros-dev
Subject:    Re: [ros-dev] RFS Reply from RE: WinFS is Dead, like Cairo
From:       Peter Dolding <oiaohm () bluebottle ! com>
Date:       2006-06-25 22:56:32

Nice ideas.  Fat and Fat32 cannot really be made safe even with a
database overlay.  Security attributes really have to be in the
filesystem meta data (xattr under linux) at least. Reason meta data will
get deleted with file entry in a database might not.  If database gets
out of sync with filesystem and its security its a big problem.

If database is holding more information than what can be stored in the
filesystem meta data.  Extra info about files if its stuffed up is not a
problem.  Ok the file is a mp3 by X but it is a mp3 by y.  This annoying
to user but not security problem.  Permissions and the same thing
happens is big trouble.

Microsoft Indexing is flawed.  Beagle's targeted indexing is the way to
do it with out being a .net program like beagle.  Index the users own
directorys do not index the temp directory or applications if we can.
Ie targeted indexing.

ZFS will be a while down the road at least.  I have stated my reasons
may times.  Ie we need one working fully secure filesystem first before
going after dreams ZFS is not even done by linux yet.  Tech great.
Limited platform support at this time.  No need to rush after it yet.
Ext2/3 support part way done might as well complete that and move on.

And to you really think every application is going to check with
explorer before accessing anything.  My zip program 7-zip has a explorer
in it too that can start programs.

Server version most likely be a samba server version 4 ported to Reactos.

Peter Dolding