List:       rocs-devel
Subject:    Re: Rocs Register Types windows/toolbars Mockups
From:       Wagner Reck <wagner.reck () unipampa ! edu ! br>
Date:       2012-05-08 19:31:16

Hello,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Andreas Cord-Landwehr
<phoenixx@uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>

> On Tuesday 08 May 2012 14:11:50 Wagner Reck wrote:
>
>> The main idea with that mockups is to organize the actual toolbar
>
>> (move, add node/pointer, remove, align, organize) into a unique
>
>> toolbar, or even split in different toolbars, but divided in
>
>> categories like this: (move,select, pan, zoom), (pointer types, create
>
>> new pointer type), (data types, create new data types), (align,
>
>> organize)
>

>> For data/pointer types, every time we create a new data/pointer type,
>
>> a new icon will appear in the toolbar with the selected icon. To
>
>> remove or edit an existing type, we just click over the icon and a
>
>> menu appear with edit/remove options.
>
> I see. Sounds really good, but also like a non negligible amount of work if
> that should be done properly :)
>
> IMO this should be a key-feature for 4.10, but for current 4.9, now with
> only a few some days before hard-freeze, it would be too risky for my taste
> to yet introduce it into the current release. But maybe we could soon start
> working on that at a branch.

>> Today, a Rocs' newcomer may not realize that the Rocs has the
>
>> characteristics of different data/pointers types, or it can be
>
>> confusing because there are many ways to make the registration of new
>
>> types.
>
> Actually, I think that this should be solved a higher level: I really would
> like to have a welcome-widget that provides an assistant to setup a project
> and maybe even provides an optional example project where we can shwo a new
> user all the possibilities and awesomeness of Rocs (well, also for 4.10)
This will be great (Tomaz made some work on it in the past), but we
also need a way
to a user that allready setup the initial project but want to
create/change types.

>> > The idea about shared properties for data types and pointer types sounds
>
>> > very right to me. I think we should extend the data type and pointer
>> > type
>
>> > classes for that. (could be feasible before hard freeze)
>

>> I will try to work on it this weekend.
>
> If you have time it would be great. Also (but unrelated) if you find some
> time, could you provide unit tests for the crucial parts of the rooted tree
> plugin? From my tests it still looks a little bit fragile (i could easily
> crash it). Maybe same holds for the list, though I think it is better
> tested.
can you try to aplly this patch mantis-gesep.sytes.net/rocsUnipampa.patch

i not yet found the bug, but just removing the index remove some crash.

i will write more tests, but looks like the problem is in GUI part.