List:       rockbox
Subject:    Re: Player for the blind
From:       "Sean Inglis" <registration.list () seani ! justemail ! net>
Date:       2010-08-21 16:56:50

Hi Tom,

Hope it didn't come across that I thought you were suggesting any
mischief, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were asking.

It looks like it could be very difficult to make any progress with the
formats you mention here unfortunately and the results would be
uncertain.

References to the Daisy format look more hopeful. I tend to agree with
other posters that some sort of utility that parses the Daisy file on a
PC and splits it into a simplified text representation of the index and
a straightforward MP3 or set of MP3 files would be achievable. The
current Rockbox format for bookmarks looks like it wouldn't take much to
repurpose.

I had a quick look at the official Daisy site and ended up chasing my
tail trying to get to concrete examples - I'd have to say that the
Wikipedia entry for the format turns out to be a lot more helpful than
the official site.

Worth giving a bit of though to (although I have a few things buffered
up to get through)

Sean