List:       rockbox
Subject:    Re: Ipod battery status with rockbox
From:       Mark Allums <mark () allums ! com>
Date:       2008-03-29 5:34:16

Mark Allums wrote:
> Ed Nickl wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>>          Running a 5.5G Ipod video with a current build of rockbox.  Just
>>     after boot up the battery reading is lower then it should be
>>     sometimes 20% lower and then after a minute or 2 it jumps up to
>>     where it's suppose to be.  Any reason for why this is?
>>               Was it cold when you first turned it on?  The battery
>> will show more
>>     voltage when warmed up.
>

> With lithium ion batteries, this shouldn't happen too much.  This will
> happen especially with zinc carbon and alkaline batteries, or lead acid,
> like a car battery, but the lithium batteries are good to about -20C.  I
> would think that warming up from room temp (about 60-70 degrees F) to
> operating temp (about 80-100 degrees F) wouldn't cause that much
> difference.
>
> Just speculating.

I've thought about it, and parts of the battery will probably get hotter
than 100 F, maybe 150 degrees even, but still.  I can see a rise from
50% to 65%, but weren't some people reporting much higher rises?

It may not be Rockbox, it may be the battery, or the chip in lithium ion
  batteries.

I am not an expert on this at all, but I think it is good that some
people brought it to our attention.

--MArk Allums