List:       rockbox
Subject:    Re: Sansa versions
From:       Mark Allums <mark () allums ! com>
Date:       2008-03-24 19:32:15

Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>
>> If the factory firmware is working, don't update it with newer factory
>> firmware.  Sometimes, manufacturers try to lock out third-party
>> firmware, so it may become more difficult to put Rockbox on your player.
>>
> That's what I wanted to know.  I have rockbox working on a v1, and I am
> having a problem where if the fm radio was playing (using the original
> firmware) when I plug in the usb cable the rm radio starts playing and
> the usb drive does not appear on my computer.  I wanted to upgrade the
> firmware to fix this bug, but I didn't want to risk breaking rockbox.

In your case, I would risk it.  The latest e200 firmware doesn't lock
out Rockbox.  The e200R firmware has to be reverted to an earlier
version, but it's generally no big deal to do so.  You have a genuine
issue that needs to be addressed.  The factory firmware is *not* working
for you.  So update the factory firmware.  Unless it's an R model, then
get the firmware that the Rockbox installer understands.  That's
available on the website, under installing.  Be sure to follow the
instructions that are appropriate for your model.  I don't believe that
the old R factory firmware that works with Rockbox has any major issues.
  Be sure it isn't Rockbox itself that is causing a problem.  Get a
recent build.  If it is a genuine bug, consider filing a bug report.

--Mark Allums