List:       rockbox
Subject:    Re: trouble shutting off iPod
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-22 2:49:23

On Thursday 22 February 2007 03:37, Dean Calder wrote:
>     Just As a Matter Of Interest
>

> Hi Listers
>

> Just wondering about EyePod Shuffles, I understand that none of them work
> with the rock box software, but is their an alternative to ITunes?. Another
> blind friend of mine uses an Ipod shuffle, and she uses Winamp.
>
> Just wondering what sort of work arounds their are to Itunes?
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Dean Calder

I never had iTunes here, never...

Well, first & easy, rockbox, as long as you do not _buy_ music from iTunes,
you can remove it from your system. I only buy CD & rip, because mp3's for me
are only worth the poor quality of portable players, and I enjoy listening to
real music. With RockBox, you do not need it at all, as you can drag'n'drop
entire music folders to the iPod as to any external drive.

Out of iTunes again, this time without RockBox, the latest release of KDE
(desktop manager for Linux, may I recommend openSUSE10.2?) has an iPod plugin
that allow you to drag & drop from your file manager: when you click on your
iPod icon, it opens up the thing in the apple file structure, and you can
just drag & drop your music, it will be "spread" in the original, strange,
iPod fashion. A nice addition from the KDE folks, indeed.

[It may be pushing a bit far to change an operating system in order to keep
the firmware on the iPod. Rockbox is easier. Sure, it works equally well with
any operating system. Last, it's blind-friendly with the Voicing system.]

cheers

jean-Philippe.

--

PHNOM PENH - CAMBODIA
ubuntu 6.06 kernel 2.6.15 Enlightenment DR16