List:       rockbox
Subject:    Re[2]: [ rockbox-Feature Requests-587654 ] Keep Harddisk spinned up  in menu
From:       Uwe Freese <mail () uwe-freese ! de>
Date:       2002-07-29 10:32:36

Hello Nielsen,

Nielsen Linus (ext) wrote on Monday, July 29, 2002, 10:14:47 AM:

>> Initial Comment:
>> The time that's used till I can see the dir entries is
>> longer because of the spin up. Can we say the hdd not to spin down
>> when we are in menu?

NLe> And when are we not in the dir browser? The firmware starts there and stays
NLe> there until you play a track or go to the settings menu.

When  starting  the  archos and doing nothing, the hdd should spin down,
in spite of we are in the dir browser. So initial value is:

INMENU = false

If  the  user  presses a button that makes the directory browser or menu appear:
INMENU = true

If the user exits the menu or starts playing a title or playlist:
INMENU = false

So, every method that changes to/from dir viewer/menu into playback mode
should change INMENU.

>> The battery consumption
>> doesn't matter, that's another 150 mA and a user is usually I think
>> max 5% of the usage time in the menu. And we could make this
>> option configurable [on/off], of course.

NLe> Yes, a configurable spin down timer is a good idea.

To make it clear: I think of configuring if/how quick the hdd spins down
when  in  the  menu  /  dir  browser.  I think it's never useful that it
doesn't spin down while in normal playback operation.

Bye, Uwe.