List:       rhq-users
Subject:    Migration from RHQ 3.0 to RHQ 4.x
From:       mazz () redhat ! com (John Mazzitelli)
Date:       2011-06-23 12:55:04

On 06/22/2011 07:00 PM, Aurelio Calegari wrote:
> We currently have a number of systems monitored with RHQ 3, and we'd
> like to promote a migration to RHQ 4, but I could not find enough
> documentation in RHQ site as for the migration to the new version. Is
> there a how to or we can simply install on top of the existing database
> with existing metrics?

This has some info:

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/Upgrading+the+Server

You do not install on top of the existing server install (as one of the
yellow boxes on that page indicates when it says, "The new Server
installation should not be copied on top of a previous RHQ Server
installation.")

The webapp installer will give you the option to "Keep (maintain
existing data"). That keeps your existing metrics, and all inventory.
See the screen snapshot on this wiki page:

http://rhq-project.org/display/JOPR2/Running+The+Installer#RunningTheInstaller-BaseInstallationSettings

where you can see this.