List:       rhq-devel
Subject:    upgrading from postgresql 8.3 to 8.4
From:       jsanda () redhat ! com (John Sanda)
Date:       2010-08-12 16:12:05

I thought I'd pass this info along in case anyone else runs into this. I
had a fedora 11 box with postgresql 8.3 installed. I upgraded the
machine to fedora 12 which in turn upgraded to postgresql 8.4. I
discovered though that my postgresql 8.4 installation was more or less
broken. I could not start my database server. So I uninstalled and
reinstalled postgresql. Running service postgresql initdb failed though.
The postgres logs said reported

The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found

When I logged in as my postgres user, I got this message,

-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

Not sure how it happened but only root had write perms on /dev/null.
After I  did chmod go+w /dev/null I was able to successfully run initdb.

- John