List:       rfci-discuss
Subject:    Re: [RFCI-Discuss] Cloaked ccTLD registrations?
From:       Alan Brown <alanb () digistar ! com>
Date:       2006-07-17 17:19:10

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Andrew Rendle wrote:

> >     Registrant's address:
> >         The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
> >         address omitted from the WHOIS service.
> >

> With that particular example, I hope that the address will not be hidden
> for much longer, since they are not entitled under Nominet's policy to
> be hiding their details as they are not a "non-trading individual."

You are correct, however there are thousands like this.

> (They are, in fact, neither non-trading nor an individual[1].)
> If you do come across example like that one where Nominet's opt-out is
> being (ab)used by registrants who aren't entitled to it, I suggest
> telling Nominet about it, since they don't appear to do any active
> checking themselves (hiding your details as a [.co|.org|.me].uk is
> trivial (selecting two radio buttons and clicking submit) and is applied
> immediately.)

Telling Nominet about it and getting them to actually do something about
it often seem to be 2 entirely different things.

While the website on that example makes it quite obvious that it's a
company, I've been getting a regular barrage of spam from UK affiliates
of Wayne Mansfield (The convicted Australian spammer) promoting his
speaking engagements in the UK - the domains used for this have no
working websites, but are used for contact and communication, however
Nominet refuse to take action on them.

AB