List:       rfci-discuss
Subject:    Re: [RFCI-Discuss] whois.nic.or.kr (was Message: 3 - Re: RFCI-Discuss
From:       "Derek J. Balling" <dredd () megacity ! org>
Date:       2005-07-12 14:04:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Jul 12, 2005, at 08:05 AM, Administrative Account wrote:
>     It maybe just my age that cause my expectations, but the specific
> language above states the the network address (re: IP either v4 or
> v6 in
> most cases) as well as the host names are to be specified;  I find
> some
> registrars do always specify the IP addresses, some do only if the
> host
> is a "listed" host (i.e. in the root DNS cache) and some never specify
> the IP.

I think this follows from the previous message about distributed
WHOIS. That verbiage was written in the day of a monolithic single
WHOIS server, which knew "all" about all hosts, domains, etc., and
the relationships between them. Now $REGISTRAR_A may not know about
nameservers within $OTHER_DOMAIN that's hosted at $REGISTRAR_B...
they can probably consult the roots, but I would say that the chance
of accidentally using stale data there makes it more logical for them
to simply refer to the name by itself and not the IP address.

>     In the past, whois nominations have been accepted and listed on
> the basis of the IPs listed not matching current DNS records.

What?!  Can you cite a couple examples, because that's never been
part of our listing criteria and any such domains should be removed
immediately.

>   What is
> the "rule" applied when the registrar does not list them

The rule is and has always been, for whois anyway, that this is
completely irrelevant.

> Which would seem to explicitly require that there be two distinct name
> servers, not merely two hostnames at a single IP;  Has this
> requirement
> been relaxed in some other RFC or document with which I am unfamiliar,
> or does these terms still remain authoritative - i.e. should a
> domain be
> listable for having only a single server?  Or is this just an artifact
> of my own recollection when ISI would "test" your servers before
> adding
> a site to the routing tables (which clearly, the InterNIC no longer
> does)?

I think it's an artifact of when there was an actual requirement (by
InterNIC) for there to be two working NS servers prior to the domain
being granted.

["smime.p7s" (application/pkcs7-signature)]