List:       rfci-discuss
Subject:    Re: [RFCI-Discuss] whois root
From:       "Derek J. Balling" <dredd () megacity ! org>
Date:       2002-02-27 13:23:52

>As some of you probably recall from the APNIC flap a while back, there
>is presently no good IP whois root.  (Tangentially, I've not seen any
>good root for domains either.)  Most people seem to be using ARIN and
>learning to recognize how ARIN lists APNIC and RIPE (and potentially
>other RIR) netblocks, going to the relevant RIR from there.
>
>Of course, it really is the IANA that should be doing this, and I don't
>know why they're not.  However, I'm fed up with waiting for them; I'm
>going to be building such a list for my own use, and am tending towards
>making it available to the net at large.  Does anyone have any
>thoughts, comments, warnings, advice, anything of that ilk?

Personally, I've found that the whois client at
http://www.linux.it/~md/software/ has all that stuff "built in" and
knows about ccTLD delegations, IP delegations, etc., and the author
keeps it quite updated.

I'm not sure where he's getting his data, but generally speaking it's
smart enough NOT to use APNIC when APNIC just mirrors the TWNIC data,
etc. etc.

Wherever he's getting his data (and it might just be brute-forcing it
updating it as he or his users notice changes) you might want to
start there.

As for domain-roots, http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm is
authoritative for that information I would believe. It's at IANA, but
it doesn't actually list WHOIS server hostnames any more (it used to,
I thought... hmmmmm)

| dredd@megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |